Writing might be quite complicated for some students. It is quite demanding to put thoughts into words on a page in an structured manner. The good news is that parents can help their children improve their writing skills in the home environment. Here are a few tips!
Tips for Building Writing Skills at Home:
1. Fun writing materials(like funny-shaped pens and colored papers) can be a great motivational tool.
2. Select a number of words to learn at home( for example “obstacles” and “curious”) and use them in a daily oral brief conversations in English with your child . Then, see if your he/she can also use them in a written story.
3. Encourage writing for a variety of purposes. Your child could make a shopping list, write a fictional story or send a letter.
4. Rely on technology to improve tour child’s writing. Encourage them to send e-mails to a friends or publish a story online or participate in writing competitions!
5. Be a good role model and allow your child to observe you writing on your own. Don’t forget to smile while you are doing it, too! Take time to share your writing with him or her and talk about how you use writing in your personal and professional life. Show a variety of different written work such as a written letter, business communication or journal page.
Curious to find out who wrote the best competition entry for our Shakespeare School Essay Competition?